Wednesday, October 6, 2010

PennDot is an embarassment

Let me explain how I saw this whole deal go down and you can make your own conclusion.

Nov 2009
Changed insurance companies
Nationwide -> Liberty Mutual

Jan 2010
Involved in a fender bender where another driver struck me
Police were called
Claim filed at both insurance companies
No questions if I was insured or not.

April 2010
Renewed License plate registration (which involves sending them insurance info)
PennDot sent me my sticker no questions asked

2010/08/09
Cop pulls me over after running my plates says I don't have insurance
Showed him insurance card
Advised me to call insurance company to get this straightened out

2010/08/10
Called insurance company they told me that they sent them proof in Nov when I switched and they can send it again.
A woman who worked there, Tanisha, faxed it to them again
They told me to follow up next week with PennDot to make sure it was okay

2010/08/17 Called PennDot to verify receipt
They told me my license plate registration was suspended since March? for failing to provide proof of insurance?
Did not receive any of the multiple correspondence sent to them proving that I had insurance
According to Adam (who dealt with the phone call slightly better than I hoped) the PennDot person I talked to said I needed to fax my Identification Card with the date that my insurance started that I'm sure they received at least once before.
I'm not to fax it to any specific person either which I'm not sure very productive.

He told me they sent a letter to me in Dec and another in March. I do not have these letters in anywhere that I see and I save and file things like that. I do sort of remember something about this. I am pretty sure I called PennDot in March about this letter and they told me that registering on-line would be fine. Adam says because the proper forms were not filled out nothing counted yet. Who am I supposed to believe. What if the story changes again after I fax this info?

2010/08/18 [1029] talked to Stacy at Liberty Mutual to tell her what PennDot is doing do me. She apologized several times but I told her that it wasn't her fault.
She can resend me identification cards and she will fax 1 copy of every form she can find to PennDot to make them accept it. I gave her the same information that PennDot gave me. Send my Insurance Identification Card showing the date (2009/11/09) that my policy was effective to the fax number 717.772.1550 and put on that Attn: URGENT VEHICLE UNDER SUSPENSION. She will also send me information down to her underwrites and they will also contact PennDot and send them the forms too.

2010/09/27 I had to go to my hearing to fight the traffic citation I was issued. Again I had to explain and explain that I have insurance. I had insurance the whole time. Their argument was that anyone could sign up for insurance, pay the 1st month and get the insurance card saying they were covered for 6 month or a year or whatever and then just cancel or not pay anymore. All I can say is :|
The magistrate made me call my insurance company (AGAIN) and fax them ANOTHER letter saying that I had insurance on the date I was pulled over. I did all that right there before I left and made them do it now. She poked her head thorough the window thing and said they got it and it was good enough. I guess when they send me back my $50 (cost of fighting ticket) this whole affair will finally be over with.

I don't know what kind of outfit it going on over there at PennDot but it seems to me that there is no accountability. Nobody feels like doing their job anymore and that's okay because it is the common person that will have to suffer the wrath of their incompetence.

No comments:

Post a Comment